José Dumont Neto - Partner
- Providing legal assistance on all aspects of taxation, with emphasis on royalties, transfer pricing, foreign tax credits, cost-sharing, thin capitalization, and import and export of goods and/or services
- Assisting with corporate and individual tax planning at domestic and international levels
- Designing investments structures to perform tax-efficient estate planning
- Consulting on mergers & acquisitions (M&A) and corporate reorganizations, including liquidations
- Structuring outbound/inbound investments
- Performing strategic litigation
- Advising on private equity structures (FIP, FIM, FIDC, FII)
Mr. Dumont is the co-head of the firm’s tax advisory group and has extensive expertise in tax matters relating to domestic and cross-border transactions, tax planning, corporate restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, investment funds, foreign investment, among others.
Mr. Dumont’s combination of familiarity with U.S. tax law and Brazilian regulations provides clients with a depth of understanding about how to navigate the rapidly changing international tax environment, especially with regard to international compliance in Brazil, the implications of tax treaties and foreign bank account reporting under the Common Reporting Standards, as well as matters relating to transfer pricing, thin capitalization, cost sharing, and import and export transactions of goods and services.
Mr. Dumont earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LL.B) from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil, a post-graduate degree in taxation from Escola de Direito de São Paulo da Fundação Getúlio Vargas, São Paulo, Brazil and completed his Master of Laws (LL.M) in International Taxation from the University of Florida, Frederic G. Levin College of Law, U.S.A. He also has an extensive course in International Taxation from Instituto de Direito Tributario Brasileiro (IBDT) in São Paulo, Brazil.
During his time abroad, Mr. Dumont worked at Solomon Blum Heymann LLP, a commercial law firm based in New York City (40 Wall Street) and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Such international experience enhanced Mr. Dumont’s capacity to act as the co-leader of Farroco Abreu’s Wealth Management and Estate Planning practice group in order to regularly advise his clients on the tax aspects of estate planning, including transfer of assets, multi-generational succession planning, offshore vehicles, and private foundations.
- Partner at Farroco Abreu Guarnieri Zotelli Advogados, since 2019
- Foreign associate at Solomon Blum Heymann LLP, New York-NY, USA, 2017
- Associate attorney at Miguel Neto Advogados Associados, 2012 to 2015 and 2018 to 2019
- Intern at Machado, Meyer, Sendacz e Opice Advogados, 2009 to 2010
- Intern at Baker & McKenzie, Trench, Rossi & Watanabe Advogados, 2007 to 2008
Education and Teaching Experience
- Extension course, Taxation of the Capital & Financial Market, Instituto Brasileiro de Direito Tributário (IBDT), São Paulo-SP, 2021
- Extension course in International Taxation, Instituto Brasileiro de Direito Tributário (IBDT), São Paulo-SP, 2018
- LL.M. (Master of Laws) in International Taxation, University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida. USA, 2016
- Post-Graduation in Taxation, Escola de Direito de São Paulo da Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV/SP), São Paulo, Brazil, 2014
- Bachelor of Laws, Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (PUC-SP), São Paulo, Brazil, 2010
- Order of Brazilian Attorneys (OAB)— São Paulo
- PIS e COFINS in Cost Sharing Agreements: Comments on cases ruled by the Federal Administrative Court (“CARF”): Tributação Indireta Empresarial – Indústria, Comércio e Serviços, E – Quartier Latin/ Atlântico Pacífico